5.29.2009

The best shopping in the area is not at the Dallas Galleria...




"It's hard to imagine how big it is until you've been. But once you go, you'll be hooked." Country Living

When people come here from out of town, they usually want to go to the Galleria or Northpark Mall. Both are swanky, high end shopping destinations, and are great-- don't get me wrong. But the BEST shopping is at Canton First Monday Trade Days, and all true Texans know this.







Canton is a flea market that grew from a little set-up in a field to now being a major event. It happens once a month in a sleepy little East Texas town, and the whole town shuts down for it. The residents probably either love it or hate it, because thousands and thousands of people flock to Canton, Texas for the weekend. (Um, like 300,000. Yikes!)





Canton has everything. Totally cute boutique house decor, sassy bling clothing, crosses, iron, furniture...it goes for miles and miles. And its a ball. You have to know where to shop, or else you might be among the painted birdhouses and the saws with murals on them, but even that is okay b/c you can get great food! (I could write my a single post JUST about the great food!!) Its not fancy- it still is in a big field, so you have some great people watching opportunities as well!




My family loves to go to Canton and we go almost every month. I feel like we have seen it all at this point, and a lot of times, I don't even buy anything. But its a ton of fun and is a great source of creative inspiration.





This find (written about in a previous post for a creative gift idea) was from a Canton booth:







And they have lots of jewelry like this:






And that's where you can find me this weekend!!! :)


Hmmm..in finding some pictures, I came across this fun little article on Canton from Country Living magazine. Who knew?!

3 comments:

Summer said...

My parents are headed to Canton tomorrow morning!! I LOVE First Monday!!! I go out there about 6 or 7 times a year! Total AWESOMENESS!!!!

Have fun!!!

Lori said...

I have always wanted to visit these trade days. i've heard many good things.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Just blog hopping tonight and enjoyed reading your blog...I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by. Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway.

Going to Canton tomorrow..